IRA Rollover

Need to satisfy your Required Minimum Distribution*? Here’s the smart solution.

Giving from our IRA was one of the smartest ways we could give to the University. It allowed us to give an asset while we were living and could see the benefits to the college and the students.
– Connor Sutton, ’61 and Ria Sutton, ‘64

Photo: Connor & Ria Sutton with son Matt and daughter-in-law Jeni Sutton

IRA Charitable Rollover

If you are 70 ½ or older and don’t need your IRA funds to support yourself, you might want to consider transferring your required minimum distribution* (the minimum amount you must withdraw each year) directly to University of the Pacific.

Why is this a good idea?

A few reasons:

1You pay no income taxes on the gift.
2Doing so could lower your taxes now and for years to come. You get to see the difference you’re making for students in your lifetime and you can transfer up to $100,000 each (per person — for you and a spouse) from an IRA every year.
3It’s easy — all you need to do is contact your IRA custodian to make the request.

Have questions?

You can reference our Frequently Asked Questions, or let us know how we can help you by filling in the form below. We’ll be in touch to answer your questions!

Or, if you want to talk to someone immediately, please feel free to contact Jonelle Beck, JD ’00, Assistant Vice President, Estate & Gift Planning, directly at 209.946.2294 or at

* Congress has waived the annual Required Minimum Distribution from IRA Accounts in the year 2020 as part of the CARES Act in response to COVID-19. Please consider seeking advice from your financial advisor or tax professional to understand how recent changes to laws governing retirement plans may impact you and your charitable gift.